Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pit Smarts


In today's edition of "my dog is too smart for his own good" - THE CRATE.


Anyone who has ever crate-trained a puppy knows that your typical dog will respond well to treats or his favorite toys. He will follow said treat/toy into the crate, he'll lay down, you'll say "good crate!" and soon enough the puppy will love his crate as though it is his own little private paradise. Maybe he'll even go in on command!


Unfortunately, Mr. Smarty Pants (a.ka. Bruce) learned that Crate = Rachel and Adam leaving. As I hold his favorite treat towards the crate, you can almost see his little wheels turning: If I take that treat it will taste yummy but then I will be in the crate which means I will be alone sooooo screw the treat, I'm hiding under the table! This is all fine and dandy for now while he's still small enough for me to pick him up, but about 10 pounds from now we're going to have a serious problem.


Yesterday I tossed a bunch of treats in there and walked away, and he actually went in by himself! I was very excited, until this morning when he was back to hiding under the table. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Sadie doesn't like her crate either. She tries really hard to get between the couch cushions and blend in. Good luck with the rest of the crate training!

    ReplyDelete